Northeast Georgia Talking Book Center
2025 Baxter Street
Athens, GA 30606-6331
Local Telephone: (706) 613-3655
Toll Free Telephone: (800) 531-2063
Claudia L Markov, Librarian
Pete Hayek, Librarian
Geographic Area Served: Clarke, Banks, Barrow, Elbert, Franklin, Greene, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hancock, Hart, Jackson, Jasper, Madison, Morgan, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Putnam, Rabun, Stephens, Walton and White Counties.
Community Outreach Programs
Strives to educate the community about Talking Books and identify eligible patrons through outreach efforts. Staff members give presentations and demonstrations; attend meetings and support groups; host booths at expos and information fairs; and visit local libraries, schools, and institutions.
Libraries/Alternate Media and Learning Resources
Provides free library services for patrons with visual, physical, and reading disabilities. The Library loans books and magazines on cassette tapes or in braille, as well as the necessary cassette players. Books and players are mailed back and forth at no cost to the patron.
- Books: Recorded and braille books that include a variety of popular interest writings such as bestsellers, classics, mysteries, biographies, westerns, children's books, and foreign language materials.
- Magazines: Over 70 popular magazines on cassette, including Readerís Digest, Guidepost, and Sports Illustrated.
- Newspapers: Recordings of compilations from the Athens-Banner Herald, Oconee Enterprise, Oglethorpe Echo, and Gwinnett Daily Post weekly. Patrons are also eligible for NFB-Newsline, which provides additional newspapers by telephone.
- Described Videos: Movies augmented with a narration track to make them accessible to people who are visually impaired in VHS format and will play in a standard VCR.
- Catalogs: Two bi-monthly publications, Talking Book Topics and Braille Book Review, available in large print, recorded, or braille format.
- Equipment and Accessories: Special playback equipment needed to listen to the books and magazines produced by NLS is loaned to eligible users free of charge for as long as the individual is a user of the reading material provided by NLS and its cooperating libraries. Accessories are available which will help readers with limited mobility or hearing impairment use the equipment.
- Other Assistive Devices and Equipment: Hardware available for in-house use, including a Perkins Brailler, a TTY telephone, a lighted magnifier, an Optelec CCTV, and computers with assistive software.
Summer/Day Camps and After-school Programs
Participates in the Vacation Reading Program during the summer.