Texas Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments - AFB Directory Profile
Texas Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments
C/O Texas School For the Blind and Visually Impaired (TSBVI)
1100 W 45th Street
Austin, TX 78756
(956) 778-1142 (Local)
(800) 562-6265 (Toll-Free)
Isela Wilson, President, (956) 778-1142, firstname.lastname@example.org
Services for Children
- Community Outreach Programs
- We sponsor parent meetings and family activities that promote social networking for families of children who have blindness or visual impairments, workshops and conferences on visual impairment related issues, and community social events to raise awareness about visual impairments.
- Information and Referral
- We empower families of children who have blindness or visual impairments by providing information and referrals and helping families successfully navigate complex educational, medical, and service systems. We have a column titled “TAPVI Talks” in the quarterly TSBVI/DARS-DBS publication http://www.tsbvi.edu/tx-sensabilities. Stories from parents, grandparents, school age children, tweens, teens and young adults are welcome. If you or your child would like to share a story or experience, please submit any articles for consideration to our newsletter coordinator, Christina Silva Suarez (Habla Espanol), email@example.com
- Support for Parents
- We provide support and leadership, sponsor family networking opportunities, and advocate for the educational needs and welfare of children who have blindness or visual impairments. With the TSBVI Outreach Department, we co-sponsor the Texas Focus Parent Conference day held on a bi-annual cycle in June. This includes sessions presented by leaders in the VI field, as well as family members, and provides an opportunity for networking with other families and VI professionals.
- Support Groups
- Texas is a big state. To help our members connect and network with one another, we have a TAPVI page on Facebook. Here families can share their experiences and photos, and we post VI event info and links to resources. Additionally, there is a listserv for all Texas VI families. To subscribe, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage families to connect by attending local, regional, state and national events and trainings for families of children who have blindness or visual impairments. We hold an annual statewide meeting in June. TAPVI has local members at large in the various regions across Texas. If you are interested in starting or participating in a local support group, please contact us.
Texas Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments, is this page missing one of your services, events, programs, or announcements? Update your information for free.