About FamilyConnect: For Parents of Children Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
FamilyConnect is a website created by the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) and the National Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments (NAPVI) to give parents of visually impaired children a place to support each other, share stories and concerns, and find resources on raising their children from birth to adulthood.
Every parent wonders, "Will I do a good job raising my child?"
If your child is blind or visually impaired, you'll have the same question...and many more.
FamilyConnect has the answers. Whether your child was recently diagnosed, has been living with a visual impairment for years, or is multiply disabled, you'll find the personal support, information, and resources you need to raise a child with vision loss from birth to adulthood. FamilyConnect offers you:
Vital Links to Families Just Like Yours
- Talk to other parents on message boards where you can share your stories, questions, concerns, and triumphs.
- Read parents' blog posts and personal stories written by parents about their own experiences raising children who are blind or have multiple disabilities.
- See hopeful and insightful videos featuring kids with visual impairments and their families.
- Create a personal profile and receive information, events, and news based on your child's age, eye condition, and location.
- Get e-mail alerts when new articles relevant to your child appear. You can choose daily or weekly digests.
- Track your favorite message boards or blogs by e-mail
Timely, Authoritative Information
- Browse articles by age or topic on every aspect of raising a visually impaired child, from family relationships and social activities, to education issues for blind and low vision students, assistive technology, parenting a child with multiple disabilities, and much more.
- Search a comprehensive directory of services for families of blind children to find out where you can get hands-on help and professional services in your area.
Created with, and for, Parents of Children Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
FamilyConnect is brought to you by the American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) and the National Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments (NAPVI). AFB's comprehensive research and information, and NAPVI's broad-reaching base of families, combine to create a unique resource and welcoming online community.
- AFB FamilyConnect Message Boards: Why and How to Use Them
by Shannon Carollo on 2/21/2017
- An Introduction to Your Child’s Specific Eye Condition
by Shannon Carollo on 2/15/2017
- Share Your Story to Help Others
by AFB Staff on 2/1/2017