Literacy Resources for Every Age
FamilyConnect has tips for every stage of development, to help parents of children who are blind or visually impaired develop critical literacy skills.
- Helping Your Baby Learn about Reading and Writing
- Promoting Your Preschooler's Development of Reading and Writing Skills
- Helping Your Grade Schooler Develop Literacy Skills
- How Students Who Are Blind Read and Write
- How Students with Low Vision Read and Write
- Fun Activities for Teaching Magnifier Use
- Reading and Making Tactile Books with Your Child
- Overview of Alternate Media
FamilyConnect's Directory of Services offers links to:
- Agencies that offer braille and reading instruction
- Libraries and other sources of braille, audio, and large print materials
You can also search the FamilyConnect Calendar of Events for reading activities for children who are blind or visually impaired.
And for parents, these interviews with Dr. Cay Holbrook offer advice on how to promote your child's literacy skills: